Re: Some Question Regarding to RBD performance

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011, Leander Yu wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. We found the performance issue actually from
> the journal writing. even we separate journal into the other SATA HDD,
> it didn't shows any performance difference.
> At the end , we use SSD to store the journal file which give us the
> performance 52.3MB/s with oflag=direct. compare SATA 6MB/s
> I didn't have chance to trace the code for journal writing , however I
> am wondering that is there a way to improve the journal writing so we
> can get better performance in SATA HDD.

We can.  The FileJournal code is currently doing a single sync direct-io
write to the device, which means that you usually do a full disk rotation
between each write.  It needs to do aio so that we can keep multiple
writes in flight.

http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/1836

This would be a great thing for an external contributor to work on, as
it's not dependent on anything else!

Thanks-
sage