Re: moving towards release criteria

Hi,

On 11/29/2011 01:38 AM, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:01, Mark Kampe<mark.kampe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Does this seem like the right general form for our release criteria? What
changes would you suggest?

As long as we're blue-skying ;) -- at some point we should automate
tests for upgrades.

You could try to couple this to a specific version?

Simple first iteration: install previous release, add data, upgrade,
test functionality, test previous data is accessible
(multiply by access method: rados, rgw, rbd, cephfs fuse, cephfs kernel client)

Starting with version 0.40

Later:
To release x.y, upgrades from x.(y-1) and x.0 must work.

Version 0.60 and later

To release x.0, upgrades from (x-1).0 and (x-1).latest must work.

Version 0.80 and later

If these upgrades are not supported, release notes must say so.

Even later:
Test functionality *during* the upgrade.

Version 0.90 and later

Even more laterer:
Test extended cross-version compatibility, as in old-osd talks to
new-mon, or don't upgrade clients at all, etc..

Version 1.0

Since v1.0 would become the "stable" version you might expect users upgrading while maintaining their data.

Does this seem reasonable?

Wido