Re: Ceph stripe reading and writing question

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Gregory Farnum
<gregory.farnum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (Added list for future reference.)
> On Nov 28, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Xiaofei Du <xiaofei.du008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Do you remember we talked several days before about the problem I
> encountered for testing ceph on ec2? The reason I ask this question is
> I am still confused with one of the results. The following is what you
> told me.
>
> You have two nodes that write at 20MB/s and six that write at 45MB/s.
>
> Journaling cuts each of those in half: two nodes at 10MB/s, six at
>
> 23MB/s. That's an aggregate 158MB/s of write bandwidth, but each write
>
> goes to two OSDs so you only get half of that, or 79MB/s of write
>
> bandwidth. You are getting about the bandwidth I would expect out of a
>
> slow and unbalanced cluster.
>
> My question is since journaling cuts the bandwidth of each node into
> half. When I did the test for writing a single file. Why could I still
> achieve a bandwidth around 45MB/s. If it goes to the 45MB/s node, it
> could only achieve 23MB/s. My question is why it could still achieve
> 45MB/s for writing a single file? Thanks a lot
>
> As you reference below, Ceph stripes files over objects (4MB by default).
> When you write an object, it can buffer the write, and when it flushes the
> buffer out to disk it can send objects out to multiple OSDs simultaneously.
Awesome, Ceph's design is really nice in many details

> On Nov 28, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Xiaofei Du <xiaofei.du008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Gregory,
> I have a question about Ceph's read and write mechanism. If I only write one
> file or read one file at a time. Does it doing the read and the write
> concurrently for each of the stripe? For example. I have a 160 MB file.
> Ceph's stripe is 16MB, which means this file will be striped into 10
> objects. My question is when I do reading or writing for this file, will it
> do it concurrently?
>
> Have you adjusted the stripe size? The default is 4MB.
> In any case, yes, it will do concurrent IOs.
> -Greg
No. I didn't adjust the stripe size. Because I saw 16MB on the Ceph
paper. So I thought the default one was 16MB. Thanks a lot again. Greg

Best,
Xiaofei

--
Xiaofei (Gregory) Du