Re: Why Ceph's aggregate write throughput does not scale with the number of osd nodes

> I just want to make sure: each client is writing to a different file?
Yes, each client is writing to a different file.

> My first question is if you're sure that your EC2 cluster actually
> provides more bandwidth than you're getting! We haven't tried Ceph on
> EC2 but I've heard elsewhere that the disk IO rates are pretty
> atrocious. (Don't forget to account for replication — that 60MB is
> actually 120MB of data going to disk, and 15MB/s per disk isn't out of
> the realm of possibility in many cloud setups.)
> If you don't have your own tools for measuring this, you can use the
> built-in one described at
> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Troubleshooting#OSD_performance:
> Watch the monitor output with ceph -w, then in a different window run:
> ceph osd tell \* bench
> Each OSD will write 1GB of data to disk and report it back (you'll see
> it in the monitor output). Make sure those numbers are significantly
> higher than the bandwidth you're seeing!
I am sure both the network and disk IO bandwidth are not so bad. I did
test on HDFS on the same machines, the throughput is much higher. I
just used ceph osd tell\* bench, and I got six osd nodes with 40~50
MB/s. But two of the osds are a little bit slower. they are around 20
MB/s. There is a sentence "The performance of a single OSD can bring
down your whole cluster! " in the OSD performance section of the link
you gave me. But I think two slower osds will only influence 1/4 of
the overall throughput. But the test result showed me no scalability.
And two slower disk IO would also influence HDFS throughput. But it
showed scalability. So I think bandwidth is not a problem.

>> Actually when I ls the ceph file system. it was very slow to give me
>> the result (There was only eight files, not tons of files). It seemed
>> like all the clients were competing for some resource. But the mon and
>> mds resource usage almost equals to zero. That's reasonable because I
>> only have 8 osds and several clients. So this seems quite weird.
> Well, ls is a slower operation on Ceph than many systems due to the
> way it handles client capabilities. But this issue will be separate
> from the one you're seeing above.
The problem is when I don't do writing, the ls operation is fast. When
I was writing two files, the ls operation became quite slow. ls
operation should not be so slow even I am writing the file. So I guess
maybe there are some resource contentions in it?

In overall, do you know other causes for my problem? Or may be the old
bugs still exist?

Best,
Xiaofei

--