Re: v0.38 released

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 09:32, Andre Noll <maan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I believe that code and documentation should be located as close as
> possible, and I'd also prefer to edit and access the documentation
> locally via command line tools rather than through a browser. But
> I don't have a strong opinion on this, so let's go for the web
> documentation.

I agree, and that's a big part of the reasons for choosing the
toolchain I did! All the docs from http://ceph.newdream.net/docs are
in the doc/ directory of the source tree.

> Should I prepare something and post a request for inclusion to the
> web pages on this mailing list, or do you want me to edit the web
> documentation directly?

Submit it like you would submit a code change.

> Are you implying that ceph is only suitable for new clusters with
> homogeneous hardware? I'm asking because our cluster is far from
> homogeneous. There are 8 year old 2-core nodes with small SCSI disks
> as well as 64-core boxes with much larger SATA disks.

8 year old? Wow.

We do intend to fully support clusters with nodes of different
capacity and speed (as I strongly believe most clusters will go
through such a phase in their life). It's just not the default
configuration, and won't be needed by most setups in the beginning.