Re: ceph-mon blocked error

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 14:20, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> XFS is just waiting for I/O to complete - xfs_bwrite is a very simple
> funtion that synchronously submits I/O, and xfs_buf_iowait is called
> to wait for the completion.   This is a typical symptom for a broken
> I/O subsystem.  What kind of setup do you use?  Especially hardware
> RAID controllers tends to produce these kinds of issues.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to necessarily implicate XFS as such, more to
say "I don't think that's a Ceph bug", look lower in the stack. I
think I'm just likely to call out fs bugs at this point because
usually with btrfs, that same hung message from the kernel tends to
mean the fs broke, not the disk. Broken block device drivers and
firmware happens too. Failure is always an option, at every layer of
the stack.