Re: how to run ceph on top of other local file system

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 15:27, sheng qiu <herbert1984106@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your help.
> i am trying to read the codes of ceph and get a deep understand of how
> it works with its components. but i find it very hard to get into it,
> can you give me some hint on how to read the codes efficiently?

I'm afraid it comes down to reading, trying, failing, re-reading, and
repeating that a lot.

I wrote a "big picture" overview of the architecture of Ceph (while
still trying to keep it very very short) over here:
http://ceph.newdream.net/docs/latest/architecture/

For me personally, knowledge of other network/distributed filesystems,
including things like HDFS, was pretty helpful in getting a grasp of
what's where. I still don't know much of the details of the messaging
etc, but I think one can get a good overview understanding of Ceph's
internals in a few weeks.

I'm personally putting my time into making Ceph conceptually simpler,
not toward trying to explain the complexities. Hopefully that'll be
more useful, in the long run.