Re: ceph/rbd benchmarks

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just thought I'd share this basic testing I did, comparing cephfs 0.32
> > on 3.1-rc1 to nfs as well as rbd to iscsi. I'm sure you guys see a lot
> > of this. Any feedback would be appreciated.
> >
> > The data is here:
> >
> > http://learnitwithme.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ceph-nfs-iscsi-benchmarks.ods
> >
> > and the writeup is here:
> >
> > http://learnitwithme.com/?p=303
>
> We see less of it than you'd think, actually. Thanks!
>
> To address a few things specifically
> Ceph is both the name of the project and of the POSIX-compliant
> filesystem. RADOS stands for Reliable Autonomous Distributed Object
> Store. Apparently we should publish this a bit more. :)
>
> Looks like most of the differences in your tests have to do with our
> relatively lousy read performance -- this is probably due to lousy
> readahead, which nobody's spent a lot of time optimizing as we focus
> on stability. Sage made some improvements a few weeks ago but I don't
> remember what version of stuff they ended up in. :) (Optimizing
> cross-server reads is hard!)

The readahead improvements are in the 'master' branch of ceph-client.git,
and will go upstream for Linux 3.2-rc1 (I just missed the 3.1-rc1 cutoff).
In my tests I was limited by the wire speed with these patches.  I'm
guessing you were using 3.0 or earlier kernel?

The file copy test was also surprising.  I think there is a regression
there somewhere, taking a look.

sage