Re: Logging to syslog from clients

Hi,

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 21:00 -0700, Colin McCabe wrote:
> 2011/8/15 Székelyi Szabolcs <szekelyi@xxxxxxx>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm running a Ceph cluster with a number of read-only ramdisk based clients
> > mounting the filesystem. I'd like to get the logs of the client out via syslog.
> > I've seen some posts dealing with logging to syslog, namely the thread
> > starting at http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg02876.html . I see
> > options like "log to syslog" and "clog to syslog". It's not clear what they
> > mean, could someone tell me the difference?
>
> "clog" is the center logger, which is a separate subsystem from the
> regular logger. The central log is maintained by the monitors rather
> than being a per-daemon thing like the regular log.
>

> > Anyway, currently my logging settings on the client are
> >
> > [global]
> > log file =
> > log dir =
> > log to syslog = true
> > clog to syslog = true
> >
> > But when the filesystem is mounted with the FUSE client, I still get
> >
> > failed to open log file '/var/log/ceph/client.admin.log': error 2: No such file
> > or directory
> >
> > which is surprising. I thought that the above options should have disabled
> > logging to file, but it looks like it still tries to open it. Is this a bug, or
> > me doing something wrong?
>
> This looks like an actual bug :(
> I'm testing out a fix that will allow users to turn off log files for
> daemons again.
>
> On an unrelated note: when you log to syslog, you may need to turn
> down the logging a little bit. Syslog tends to drop log messages when
> the load gets heavy, and this makes it harder to figure out what is
> going on.

I also had that issue, but when using rsyslogd and using TCP for
transport instead of UDP I wasn't able to see any dropped packets.

To my experience it's not syslog dropping the packets, but UDP packets
which get lost due to buffers being full at the kernel.

# Sent all message to the remote syslog machine, then discard them to
prevent local logging
# Use TCP (@@) for transmission to prevent packet loss
:rawmsg,contains,"osd." @@loghost
& ~