Re: Kernel 3.0.0 + ext4 + ceph == ...

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:21:13AM -0700, Sage Weil wrote:

> We do use xattrs extensively, though; that was the last extN bug we
> uncovered.  That's where my money is.

Hmm, yes.  That could very well be.  How big are the xattrs, and are
there cases where you:

a) start with a small xattr (where the total size is less than 128
bytes, so it can be stored in the inode table), and then increase it
something where it needs to be stored in an external block?

b) start with enough xattrs so it's large, and then delete all or most
of them?

I could easily believe we might have some bugs as we transition from
in-inode to external block storage, or vice versa.  I'll take a look
at the code and try to create some reproduction cases, but if you
could give me a handle on workload patterns of ceph around xattrs,
that would be interesting.

Another thing to try might be to format the disk with 128 byte inodes
(mke2fs -t ext4 -I 128 /dev/hdXX) and see if you can reproduce the
problem that way.  The support for in-inode xattrs is a new feature
(to ext4), and so it's a bit more likely that if there is a bug, it's
related to our in-inode xattr handling --- and using a 128 byte inode
would suppress that feature.  I don't recommend running that way, of
course, but it might help tell us if that's where we should be looking
for a bug.

> (BTW we'll be really happy if/when the large xattr patches from the Lustre
> guys make it into mainline!  The (4k?) limit on total xattrs is a problem
> for us.)

OK, good to know.  It hadn't been high priority for the ext4 team
(since I thought it was only the Lustre folks that really needed it),
but I'll escalate the priority of that on our todo list.

Thanks, regards,

						- Ted