Re: Kernel 3.0.0 + ext4 + ceph == ...

On Jul 30, 2011, at 5:38 AM, Fyodor Ustinov wrote:

> fail. Epic fail
>
> Inode 238551053, i_blocks is 24, should be 32.  Fix? yes
>
> Inode 238551054, i_blocks is 40, should be 32.  Fix? yes

Fyodor, what kernel were you using?  Was it a RHEL 6.x
kernel, like Christian?

I haven't had an opportunity to play with Ceph in about six
months, but when I did I was using a much more recent
ext4 code base (backported onto 2.6.34, where as RHEL
was based on 2.6.32, but more importantly we were much
more aggressive at backporting fixes onto our kernel).

I didn't see anything like what you're reporting.

If this is with a much more recent kernel, I'd definitely be
interested.  Since the Ceph server is a pure userspace
application, if you can cause file system corruption which
e2fsck has to fix, that's definitely an ext4 bug.

Regards,

-- Ted

P.S  Ext4 in the RHEL 6.x kernel is I believe a technology
preview, which means it might not get full support from
Red Hat.  Still, if you do see those sorts of problems with
ext4 on a RHEL kernel, and you have a valid Red Hat
support contract, I'd definitely encourage you to file a
bug with the distro.