Re: Ceph didn't migrate data when I kill one osd daemon

Hi Anny,

On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 17:35 +0800, AnnyRen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have one questions about osd degraded.
>
> My environment was set up with 3 mon, 2 mds and 25 osd, all daemon are
> running on physical machines.
> Ceph Version:  0.30
> File system format: EXT4
>
> Q1.   When I'm testing osd stability, I kill an osd daemon (osd2) to
> observe the behavior of data migration.
>     For all I know, I could see the pg degraded ratio down to zero,
> and all pgs become active+clean.
>     but Ceph file system didn't migrate the data on the osd (which I
> already killed its daemon) to other osds.
>     The degraded ratio still remain at 4.xxx%.
>     After then, I run "cosd -i 2 -c /etc/ceph/ceph.conf"and then run "ceph -w",
>     I saw all pgs suddenly become active+clean.
>
>   Could anyone tell me why Ceph didn't migrate data when I kill one osd daemon?

How long did you wait? The default configuration is that a OSD has to be
down for at least 300 sec before it gets marked "out".

When you kill the OSD it will be marked "down" within a few seconds, but
that won't trigger any data migration, a OSD has to be marked "out" do
to that.

Wido