Re: (un)stability of ceph

Hi, and thanks for tha anwser.

On 23.05.2011, at 10:55, Fyodor Ustinov wrote:

> Sage Weil <sage <at> newdream.net> writes:
>
>> Based on your requirements, it sounds like Ceph is a good fit.  As for
>> status, here is the latest update:
Yes, as I understand the FS-market now, there is a big big void space in scalable-fast and future-ready Filesystems. With lustre being somehow unsupported/non-free whatever and all other alternatives not having those great features (especially kernel support) than ceph has. I think that it will become very quickly a filesystem with a big userbase. I can't wait for it to be released.

>> - Ceph is not yet ready for production however, we are confident that we
>>  are only a few months away
>> - We have not experienced any data loss on our pseudo-production
>>  test clusters for quite some time now.
>> - We (DreamHost) have expanded the core team on Ceph to 7 people who are
>>  primarily working on stability and performance
>> - Each month more and more people are digging in and getting involved in
>>  the project which we hope will accelerate development further
>> - We are very close to launching a hosted beta of the object store layer
>>  which will help us identify foundational issues

I'll gladly help with testing.

> Requests from "user" :)
>
> 1. Stop "featuring". ceph does all what need. :)
+1

> And most important:
> 3. Please, please, please, make documentation. I get along without the
> "crushtool: add --reweight-item" - I know how to use the "vi". But I do not know
> the meaning of the secret parameter "weight".
Yes please, so many projects lack good documentation nowadays in the "we have a wiki now" century.
Having a wiki is great, but putting the burden on the community which has to find out the hard way how the software works does never reveal a good documentation if at all.

Thanks,
udo.

--
:: udo waechter - root@xxxxxxxxx :: N 52º16'30.5" E 8º3'10.1"