Minimum Recommended Hardware

Hi!

I've been doing some casual testing of Ceph (GIT Master) and am seeing some really slow speeds:
 - rados bench:  5-6MB/s
 - QEMU-KVM:  1-2MB/s

As part of my performance troubleshooting plan, I'd like to find out what the list considers the "minimum recommended" hardware configuration to be in order to run Ceph and achieve a reasonably good transfer rate (I'm thinking 50MB/s+?).

My current setup is this:

All machines PXE boot and run their OS from a customized initramfs image. Hard drives are used solely for data storage. All machines run the 2.6.39-rc7-git13 Linux Kernel. OSD Journal lives in the OSD Data partition and is 1000 MB. I use the default (2) number of replicas for all pools. No iptables or Ceph authentication being used. All machines are connected by an 8 port Linksys Gigabit switch.

I use a set of custom shell scripts to build and start the Ceph cluster from bare metal (once the machines are booted from PXE).

I've tried both EXT4 and BTRFS file systems on the OSDs, but both give the same speeds.

1 x MON
  Dual P3 930Mhz, 256K Cache
  512MB RAM
  No HD
  100Mb NIC

1 x MDS
  Dual Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 512K Cache
  4GB RAM
  No HD
  100Mb NIC

4 x OSD
  OSD1 =
    P3 1Ghz, 256K Cache
    2GB RAM
    80GB IDE (dd_rescue can read about 45MB/s sustained)
    1Gb NIC (e1000 driver)
  OSD2 =
    P3 550Mhz, 512K Cache
    768MB RAM
    40GB IDE (dd_rescue can read about 30MB/s sustained)
    1Gb NIC (e1000 driver)
  OSD3 =
    Celeron 1Ghz, 128K Cache
    512MB RAM
    18GB IDE (dd_rescue can read about 15MB/s sustained)
    1Gb NIC (e1000 driver)
  OSD4 =
    P3 1Ghz, 256K Cache
    512MB RAM
    20GB IDE (dd_rescue can read about 40MB/s sustained)
    1Gb NIC (e1000 driver)

Thanks,
Dyweni