Re: a question about laggy mds

2011/3/23 Yuki <chengmao2010@xxxxxxxxx>:
> hi
> if there is only one mds in the ceph cluster , after it was marked laggy, it can clear the laggy flag itself sometime. But if there are two mdses , the laggy one would be taken over by the standby soon. Under what circumstance the laggy mds can clear the laggy flag?
An mds is marked laggy *by the monitor* if it goes too long without
delivering the monitor a beacon message. At that point, if there is an
available mds in standby or standby-replay the laggy mds will get
blacklisted and the standby will take over. If there are no available
standbys, the mds stays laggy, and can clear itself by sending the
monitor a couple messages.

> Why does the mds send  "beacon" to the monitors? Does it just report mon its state ? The mds is marked laggy by itself not the mon, is that right ?
The beacon message contains a very minimal amount of state, and is
mostly just a heartbeat to let the monitor know that the MDS is still
alive.
As I said above, an mds is marked laggy by the monitors. :)
-Greg
PS: Please send questions like these to the list, not to individuals.
You will get better answers more quickly, and the contents of the
emails are archived and indexed by search engines so other people can
get their answer by google instead of email! :)