Re: RPM issues

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 05:29:51PM -0700, Colin McCabe wrote:
> 3. How should we handle tcmalloc, if at all? Google-perftools is not
> bundled for 64 bit on CentOS. (It seems like this decision was made
> because some of the stuff in this package is buggy on 64 bit x86.
> However, tcmalloc itself is not buggy on 64 bit.). And in general, how
> do we handle things that are "good to have" but which shouldn't be
> dependencies?

Hmm. The whole point of commit a2c02d was that it'd be harder to
accidentally build a non-desired variant of Ceph. That is, just
because you reinstalled the machine you use for building the package,
and forgot to install libatomic-ops-dev, doesn't mean you should
create packages with completely different behavior in the future.

So, you need to figure out whether libatomic-ops is desired or not,
for the relevant platform/architecture. If yes, then builds must fail
without it (./configure will complain, debs have build-dependency). If
not, then say ./configure --without-libatomic-ops. But don't let it
depend on unpredictable factors.

--