Re: NFS of Gluster and Ceph

On Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Sylar Shen wrote:
> Hi Gregory,
> Here are my conditions:
> 1. I use in-kernel client(my OS is Fedora 14)
> 2. Replication level is 1, so there are 2 identical files(the original
> and the copy).
> 3. The network card on each server and the switch are 1Gb/s.
>
> You said you'd expect mush faster results on the buffered write test,
> maybe approaching the network interface limits.
> I think you may misunderstand what I mean.
> I used the in-kernel client to mount Ceph(mount -t ceph 192.168.1.11:/
> /mnt/ceph) .
> I re-exported NFS on the client using "exportfs client:/mnt/ceph -o
> fsid=1234,rw,no_squash_root"
> Besides, I used another server to connect to the client by NFS
> protocol and did the write test using dd command(with buffer).
> And I got Ceph=46.6MB/s while Gluster=39.3MB/s, the speed looked similar.
> So this confuses me. Because I think even if Ceph is re-exported by
> NFS protocol, it should be a lot faster than Gluster.
> Did I do something wrong or was it really influenced by the speed of
> the switch or the router?
> Thanks in advance!

Hmm. We haven't run a lot of tests via NFS re-export, but Sage doesn't think it should impact performance too much. Could you try running those dd tests on the Ceph mount directly? We generally see results of 90MB/s to 110MB/s when running simple sequential write tests like that. It's possible that the machine you're using to export NFS from doesn't have a full-duplex card and so you're saturating its network interface, which would yield about 45MB/s writes like you're getting.
-Greg