Re: monitor dispatch queue seems backed up?

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 16:56 -0700, Sage Weil wrote:

> > > The main thing that's changed since then is the default number of PGs has
> > > gone up.  Can you try changing the osd_pg_bits to 6 in common/config.cc,
> > > rebuild, and re-mkcephfs, and see if that gives you behavior similar to
> > > stable?  (mkcephfs isn't currently letting you adjust that yet.)
> >
> > OK, I tried osd_pg_bits = 6 as you suggested.
> >
> > The startup behavior is much like stable, except my "ceph -w"
> > seems to have some trouble connecting - it often needs to
> > try multiple times before it is successful.
>
> Okay.  We'll have more nodes up next week so hopefully I'll be able to
> reproduce this behavior.
>
> > Unfortunately, the behavior under my 64-client write
> > test is also much like stable - I'm still getting
> > osds wrongly marked down.
> >
> > I didn't dig into it enough yet to see if this is due to
> > the same type of mysterious delays as I was finding
> > on stable.
>
> I just pushed something to master that sprinkles debug prints all through
> the heartbeat thread.  Let's try to figure out where it is blocking.
>
> My worry is that this is all the VM's fault: we're writing data, hit the
> dirty page limit, and thereafter any memory allocations or writes block.
> I've been assuming that only the thread that does the write gets blocked,
> but it may be that the VM blocks all threads in the process, or that it is
> a memory allocation (in the heartbeat thread) that is hitting the limit
> (balance_dirty_pages() IIRC).  We may need to make sure the heartbeat
> thread uses preallocated/locked memory or something.. :(
>
> Anyway, getting more detailed logs will tell us which thread(s) are
> blocking when.

OK.  FWIW, when I was digging into this on stable, one
thing I noticed is that when processing of a heatbeat
message stalled, the time between when it was dequeued
from the dispatch queue and when processing finished
was full of Reader/Writer thread processing, with the
occasional journal commit.

I'll recreate with your debugging, and see if I get
a similar behavior.  In any event, I'll have the logs
available.

-- Jim