Re: monitor dispatch queue seems backed up?

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Jim Schutt wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 12:48 -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm continuing my testing of the master branch
> > > (commit 1ed2d8c587) against 96 osds.
> > >
> > > I'm having trouble getting a new filesystem to
> > > start up.  FWIW this size filesystem starts up
> > > in a minute or two at most under the stable branch.
> >
> > The main thing that's changed since then is the default number of PGs has
> > gone up.  Can you try changing the osd_pg_bits to 6 in common/config.cc,
> > rebuild, and re-mkcephfs, and see if that gives you behavior similar to
> > stable?  (mkcephfs isn't currently letting you adjust that yet.)
>
> OK, I tried osd_pg_bits = 6 as you suggested.
>
> The startup behavior is much like stable, except my "ceph -w"
> seems to have some trouble connecting - it often needs to
> try multiple times before it is successful.

Okay.  We'll have more nodes up next week so hopefully I'll be able to
reproduce this behavior.

> Unfortunately, the behavior under my 64-client write
> test is also much like stable - I'm still getting
> osds wrongly marked down.
>
> I didn't dig into it enough yet to see if this is due to
> the same type of mysterious delays as I was finding
> on stable.

I just pushed something to master that sprinkles debug prints all through
the heartbeat thread.  Let's try to figure out where it is blocking.

My worry is that this is all the VM's fault: we're writing data, hit the
dirty page limit, and thereafter any memory allocations or writes block.
I've been assuming that only the thread that does the write gets blocked,
but it may be that the VM blocks all threads in the process, or that it is
a memory allocation (in the heartbeat thread) that is hitting the limit
(balance_dirty_pages() IIRC).  We may need to make sure the heartbeat
thread uses preallocated/locked memory or something.. :(

Anyway, getting more detailed logs will tell us which thread(s) are
blocking when.

Thanks!
sage