Re: dedupe and compression in ceph

On Friday, February 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Kiran Patil wrote:
Hello,

> May I know when would it be possible to use the underlying btrfs
> features such as dedupe(offline) and compression for ceph cosds ?
>
> Is it possible to access btrfs features in cosd seamlessly ?
Well, there are two ways to run Ceph on btrfs. One is to give it a raw partition and tell it to set up the partition itself. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to enable these features under that situation, although I think it would be pretty simple.
The other way is to just create a btrfs filesystem and point the OSD at a directory on that filesystem as its backend storage. In that scenario you can set whatever mount options etc that you like. I'm not personally that familiar with btrfs but I imagine this should let you enable whatever options you like. :)

-Greg