RE: EXTERNAL: Re: [ceph-commit] File System Security Labeling and Extended Attributes

Thank you so much for your answers Greg.  That is exactly what I needed.

 - Armelle

-----Original Message-----
From: gfarnum@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:gfarnum@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gregory Farnum
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:21 PM
To: Franklin, Armelle S
Cc: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [ceph-commit] File System Security Labeling and Extended Attributes

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Franklin, Armelle S
<armelle.s.franklin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My name is Armelle Franklin.  I am a software engineer with the Centralized
> Supercomputer Facility.  My team is writing a paper that identifies the
> various current, new and upcoming technologies in the High Performance
> Computing domain for our customer.  I am focused on Storage Software (namely
> File Systems for Supercomputers).  We support a Multi-Level Security
> infrastructure and would like more information about whether your product,
> Ceph, supports the following features:
>
> -          Extended Attributes (What sort of extended attributes (file
> metadata) does the file system support/offer?)
Yes, it supports Linux xattrs. I think the limits are the same as
btrfs offers, if not they're a superset.

> -          POSIX Compliant???
Yep, 100% POSIX-y.
> -          Security Labeling (Can the user/administrator explicitly access
> security labeling for files?)
While the answer is a little complicated, if you're asking for
specific labeling beyond what the kernel does by default (no SELinux)
the answer is basically no.
Depending on use case you can set up certain files to go into pools,
though, and it is possible to deny access on pool granularity. If
you're interested in this I suggest you take a look through the wiki.
-Greg