block device journal durability

I noticed that Ceph issues a warning if it detects that you are using a raw block device as the journal and write caching is enabled on that device.

When it opens the block device file, however, the FileJournal is using O_DIRECT|O_SYNC. In recent kernels, syncing a block device file actually triggers a proper write barrier operation (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.34/fs/block_dev.c#L420). The barrier operation is also supported on MD and LVM now as well if you happen to have a journal on a multi-disk volume.

Does this mean that if you have a new enough kernel, and a block device that understands barriers, that you can safely leave the write cache enabled for the journal device? It seems that way to me, but I wanted to make sure that I am not missing a more subtle issue related to how Ceph performs its journaling.

Kudos on the user-friendly warning messages in Ceph in general, by the way.

thanks,
-Phil