Re: PAM_shield locking me out?

Dag Wieers wrote:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Rob Kampen wrote:

Yesterday I installed pam_shield and followed the testing suggested and thought all was well. today I find that I cannot get to my email account, I can login via ssh okay (uses keys) but su and sudo give
segmentation faults. I am guessing due to the pam module causing a problem.
As I cannot do remote login as root and sudo and su use pam I appear to have locked myself out.

I have not encountered this issue. And I have been using it on 32bit and 64bit machines with RHEL4 and RHEL5. I guess it must be related to a configuration issue somewhere. Not good though.

Was this with the 0.9.2 release, or the 0.9.3 release ?

Please provide this information to the author, he might help you find the cause and fix it in pam_shield.

Thanks for reporting,
Update - running 0.9.2 release on both a .386 and a .x86_64 system
I think the location of the
auth   optional    pam_shield.so
line within the /etc/pam.d/ config files is important??
I had an error on the 64 bit machine thus it was not running - I have now fixed and after looking at the response from S.Tindall I have moved the line to the location as shown in /etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac:
<snip>
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
auth        sufficient    pam_krb5.so use_first_pass
auth        optional      pam_shield.so
auth        required      pam_deny.so
<snip>
Lets see if this works.