PAM_shield locking me out?

Yesterday I installed pam_shield and followed the testing suggested and thought all was well. today I find that I cannot get to my email account, I can login via ssh okay (uses keys) but su and sudo give
segmentation faults. I am guessing due to the pam module causing a problem.
As I cannot do remote login as root and sudo and su use pam I appear to have locked myself out.
Any words of wisdom from those a little more knowledgeable?
Why do I keep trying new things - I like to improve my system and harden it against constant script kiddies (many different triers per day), but despite reading all the instructions I fall into a hole I cannot climb out of.
Hopefully someone has an idea
BTW - the console also fails to allow login
TIA Rob

begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob
org:Team Torman Realty
adr:;;13019 Water Point Blvd;Windermere;FL;34786;USA
email;internet:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;cell:407-341-3815
version:2.1
end:vcard