Re: Finding DHCP IP of guest system

JohnS wrote:

&& Why you scrub the MACS?
Sheer paranoia and long-standing habit.

Elaborate, you that paranoid?  Over paranoid gets you faster than
scrubing MACs.  I would worry about, does my router have holes in it?
Plus let your MAC fly on the wireless network.  I let my neighbor
connect to mine, they can't afford the internet.  One caveat, all they
have is net access.

Back in the mists of time, when I was working with VAXen and DECnet Phase IV, the general practice in our shop was to be careful about making MAC addresses generally known. Seems a quaint habit considering the network today, but old habits are sometimes hard to break... and they are not always a bad thing!

As far as the security of my home network goes, I get a giggle every time I scan for wireless networks at home. Mine is the ONLY network that I can reach that is encrypted.

As far as paranoia goes, one of my mentors once told me that a mild degree was a useful attribute for a system administrator. It tends to make one spend more time thinking about what CAN go wrong, which is great if you actually put the results into practice.
--
Jay Leafey - jay.leafey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Memphis, TN