Re: Switch to measure traffic at IP level?

Couple of diff ways to go about this.

I use Cacti and monitor throughput via SNMP for the dom0.

I also enable SNMP on my switch and monitor throughput of individual ports.

However if you want granularity like monitoring at the network layer (IP or layer 3), then you can look at the netflow like plugin (flow-tools and flow-scan) for Cacti and monitor actual traffic patterns of individual hosts.

Or get a netflow or sflow collector in general depending on what your switch supports and enable netflow/sflow just on those ports of interest, like the one your dom0 is on.

On Oct 25, 2009, at 6:14 PM, Mathew S. McCarrell wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Neil Aggarwal <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matt:

> depending on what your using for virtualization, you might be able to pull
all
> of those stats with snmp on the host.

I am using KVM on CentOS 5.4

Let me know if you think it is possible to gather everything
I need at the host without requirining anything from the guests.

You might be able to use "virsh domifstat" or something similar.

Matt

--
Mathew S. McCarrell
Clarkson University '10