Adobe Flash Install Woes

I am having a hell of a time getting adobe flash to work on a recent 5.2 install.

From rpm install:
Running firefox as root -- I have verified there is a symlink in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins that points to the actual plugin located in /usr/lib/flash-plugins
nada.

SoI then copied the plugin directly into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and eliminated the symlink from the equation.
nada.

I then installed the plugin into the $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ directory of a normal user (and making sure everything was read/executable by that user).
nada.

At no time does the adobe flash pugin ever appear in the plugins panel when viewing Tools->Addons from within the browser. I see no errors or any logs of any kind getting generated anywhere.

An rpm check of both firefox and the flash plugin return with no complaints.

I see scads of posts on google regarding other adobe flash player woes but none of the solutions i've found so far work.

Since most of the sites I require access to, even metalink, required adobe flash this is a show stopper for me.

Thanks for any help,
CC