Re: Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
No, the hypervisor in a virtualized environment is an absolutely
critical component;  there is no room at all for fanboys.  VMware is a
well established solution [+50% customer satisfaction, Citrix at ~30%;
and +50% vs. ~20% marketshare.  VMware is the only virtualization
solution to have increased its market share in the last year.]  With

If I cared about any of that boo-haa-haa I'd not be using Open Source or CentOS.

something this central do an organizations architecture it pays to be
risk-averse;  and migrating between solutions is a miserable experience.

Depends on what you are doing and how much you know about it, I've recently helped migrate a 50 node ( real hardware ) platform from VMware to Xen, the total effort was about 2 days onsite, and downtime was 8 minutes.

and with the fact that its 'available' off the shelf, zero cost up front. however to make it do anything you still need to buy into vmware tools.

This statement is false;  I have several stand-alone ESXi boxes running.
There are no commercial products required for a working setup;  the
commercial components provide motion, consolidated backed and the
centralized management console [which is crap anyway].

How do you actually connect to the ESXi instance to setup a new VM and manage existing ones ?

- KB