Re: how can I stress a server?

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

I'm sitting with a very expensive paper weight right now, and I don't
know what todo. The same websites are running very well on a machine
with a Gigabyte G31MX-S motherboard + 4GB DDRII 800 RAM + C2D 6750
CPU. This is what baffles me, how can the same load on a slower
machine work fine, but on the faster one not?

I kind of lost track of this thread and missed any useful performance information if you posted it. Is this the same machine that has mysterious crashes? If so, I would just give up, or replace the RAM and power supply and then give up.

Performance wise, what kind of load does it have? Most servers that aren't doing graphics or number crunching are limited by disk i/o, not cpu so the disks and controllers are the interesting things to compare although if the controller requires a lot of CPU intervention (ide, sata in some modes) it may look like a cpu problem.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx