Re: how can I stress a server?

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
John, just cause the machines we use to serve web content to our
clients doesn't use the grade of equipment you prefer to use, and can
afford, doesn't mean equipment that other people use is inferior, or
worthless.

ECC memory would have caught any memory errors, (including memory timing), and give a diagnostic and we wouldn't be having this conversation, this system would be in production, and you'd be working on the next customers job.

oh yeah, those 'server' motherboards generally use registered/buffered memory, which can handle higher memory fanouts and support a full load of memory banks robustly.

I meant to suggest the other night, go into the Intel BIOS, find the memory settings area, and set it to custom timings, and add a clock to each of the timings, like if its 4-4-4-12, try 5-5-5-15 (or whatever the next increment is). running 8GB on a desktop board, I'm guessing you have all slots full, this increseas the capacitive load on the address and data bus, and makes marginal timing more marginal.