Re: changing partition priority on install

Phil Schaffner wrote:

<snip>
A GRUB boot CD (or floppy) will allay the above concerns. Do an "info grub" to find out how to create one. Can also boot from install media to recover a lost GRUB.

I did not find an option during the install prep to re-locate grub to the MBR of /dev/sdb. I probably should try the text-based installer to see if there are more options.

It is there in the GUI installer - can't remember exactly where without going through the install, but something like an "Advanced" button on a configuration page toward the end of the process.

Heck, I may just remove the 9550 board until the initial os install is completed. That should accomplish what I am trying to achieve. Just seems like there should be a more elegant way of doing this.

I am installing 5.1 because I have the isos on hand. I was just going to let yum update me to 5.2...

That should work.

Thanks for your help,

OK

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for your input. I did find the location of the grub install modification. Strange thing is, when I restarted the install, grub defaulted to the MBR of /dev/sdb. I did not change any hardware or bios settings in between attempts. I have no idea why the change happened.

Once the install was completed, the OS partition showed up as /dev/sda, even though it showed up as /dev/sdb during the installation process. Grub is apparently happily residing in the MBR of /dev/sda. Again, I can't explain it.

If you (or anyone else) has insights to this behaviour, or can point me to where I can read up on it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Monty