Re: changing partition priority on install

Phil Schaffner wrote:
On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 14:59 -0500, Monty Shinn wrote:
Greetings.

I am in the process of installing 5.1 64 bit on a server. The server has 2 3ware cards: 9550SX 12 port, and a 8006 2 port, both SATA.

Any reason not to use 5.2?  Will save a lot of updates, and perhaps some
headaches.

<snip>

I have vague recollections of having fixed similar problems by tweaking
the device ordering in initrd and/or modprobe.conf; however, backing up
a step, why do you need to change the order to make things work?  You
can install GRUB on the boot device MBR, whatever that may be, and put
the OS on the device you want it on without changing the ordering.

Phil

<snip>

Phil,

There are a couple of reasons, although they may make no sense. First, I did not want a multiple point of failure. If the boot loader is on the MBR of /dev/sda, and the os is on /dev/sdb, then you have a multiple point of failure. If either card dies, then I am hosed. It would be *similar* to running a RAID0 on the os. Not a good idea IMHO.

Also, if I wanted to replace the "data" drives in the future, I couldn't just unmount the partition and replace the drives. The boot loader would be gone as well.

I did not find an option during the install prep to re-locate grub to the MBR of /dev/sdb. I probably should try the text-based installer to see if there are more options.

Heck, I may just remove the 9550 board until the initial os install is completed. That should accomplish what I am trying to achieve. Just seems like there should be a more elegant way of doing this.

I am installing 5.1 because I have the isos on hand. I was just going to let yum update me to 5.2...

Thanks for your help,

Monty