Re: strict memory

Mag Gam wrote:
Hi John:

Well, we run a lot of statistical analysis and our code loads a lot of
data into a vector for fast calculations. I am not sure how else to do
these calculations fast without loading it into memory. Thats why we
have to do it this way.

well, if you got several processes that each need 32GB in a 64GB machine, you're gonna end up swapping.

the traditional way of doing this sort of thing on limited memory machines was to take a sequential pass through the data, calculating the statistics on the fly. I know that kind of thing is very difficult for some algorithms (FFT's are notorious for being unfriendly to sequential processing), but for many algorithms, a few sequential passes of calculations can be /faster/ than random access and swapping when theres memory/process contention.