Re: rebuilding the kernel.

Akemi Yagi wrote:

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Yahia Tachwali
<ytachwali@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Akemi Yagi wrote:
1- getting the kernel:
1.1 access as root
1.2 yum install rpm-build redhat-rpm-config
1.3 su user
1.4 cd
1.5 mkdir -p rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
1.6 echo "%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild" > .rpmmacros
1.7 rpm -i

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.9-67.0.22.EL.src.rpm
   2> /dev/null
1.8 cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
1.9 rpmbuild -bp --target=`uname -m` kernel-2.6.spec 2> prep-err.log |
tee
prep-out.log
Looks good so far.
These so far sound fine. but then I guess there might be a mistake or
missing step in my procdure to build the new kernel:

2- building a new kernel:
2.1 access as root
2.2 rpmbuild -bp --target=`uname -m` kernel-2.6.spec 2> prep-err.log |
tee
prep-out.log

The above rpmbuild is not necessary.  You have done it correctly in
step 1.9 (as user).

2.3 su user
2.4 cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.`uname -m`
2.5 cp configs/kernel-2.6.18-i686.config .config
2.6 make oldconfig
2.7 make menuconfig {here I left it as is and did not do any
modification
since I am                 planning to include HDLC as a module after
build
a complete custom kernel}

I am confused.  If you did not make any changes here, why would you
expect your new kernel to provide the HDLC support (see above) ???
2.8 [user@host SPECS]$ rpmbuild -bb --target=`uname -m` kernel-2.6.spec
2>
build-err.log |         tee build-out.log
Before that step (rpmbuild -bb), you should at least edit the line:

%define buildid .your_identifier

as written in the Wiki tutorial to make your rpm's version different
from the distro's.

2.9 su
2.10/ rpm -ivh kernel-*.rpm

and after the last command I have got the conflict warning above. What
is
wrong in my             installation procedure! :( Please help.
/

Your "customized" kernel has the same version/revision as the
distro's.  So, it won't install unless you force it (not recommended
at all).

Akemi

Thank you. So if it is not recommended to force it , what should I do to get
it installed ?

Please read my reply to you in its entirety, not just the last part --
especially the line about "buildid".

Akemi
Hello Akemi,

I am sorry, I missed your extremely helpful notes. I got it working!!! Thank you very much... I got now my card running after getting the HDLC module loaded. Thank you very much to you and all the group for this support.

I am still wondering if what I did is an overkill to get the module loaded. I had the CentOS 4.4 with kernel 2.6.9.42 before installing this 2.6.9.67 kernel. Is there a way to get the HDLC module built and installed with minimal steps rather than going into a complete fresh kernel rebuilt? My understanding from tutorials in the web that all what you need is to make and make install after editing the config file, but unfortunately that did not work in my original kernel, and that is why I decided to get a fresh kernel to experiment on. If I can really get HDLC built and load without kernel build or download another kernel source. What could be missing in my original 2.6.9.42 kernel that prevents me from doing make and make install after editing the config file?

Again, I appreciate alot the help and support from this group. You all have helped me alot and I am very thankful.