Re: CentOS 5.2 - Nautilus - file types are not associated with an action and icons are not displayed

MHR wrote:
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Vaclav Mocek <little.owl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I use CentOS 5.2 as a desktop and the Gnome Nautilus doesn't display icons
related to the file types and all associated actions ("open with") are lost.
It is so bad, that the desktop shortcuts are displayed as ordinary files
"Filesystem.desktop" or "openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop", and when I click
on them, the Nautilus wants to know what it should do with these files.

The problem emerged after I installed the  new kernel (2.6.18-92.1.10.el5)
and  uninstalled packages "joystick", "slrn" and "planner".  All user
accounts have the same problem, when I run the Nautilus as root (sudo
nautilus), it works fine => probably some access restrictions.

I run the Nautilus with strace, but the output is too messy to provide some
sensible information. Any hint what to do is welcomed.

Check the permissions on all files and directories in anything under
/usr that has "gnome" in it.  Chances are something is screwed up
there.

Also, double check your root's umask - it should be 2 (and NOT 22 or
27 or 77) while you're installing.

I ran into something like this a while back when I changed the root
umask to something other than 2, and it really screwed up all my
settings until I changed the permissions and umask back.

HTH

mhr

Hi,

thanks a lot, the problem was solved - there is necessary to reinstall the package shared-mime-info

rpm -ivh --force shared-mime-info-0.19-5.el5.i386.rpm

and after that it works fine again. It was a problem of Fedora Core 6 - the time from the time it was broken after an update and it seems that CentOS has the same problem as well. Before I sent my mail, I checked the integrity of the package shared-mime-info and time stamps of its files, and everything was OK. I still don't know the real reason, however it works.

Best Regards

Vaclav