Re: Re: Duplicate PV on HW RAID?

Am 29.07.2008 um 23:04 schrieb Eduardo Grosclaude:

Eduardo: To give you something else to consider, as an alternative:  I
believe there was a long thread here, awhile back, about using
Software RAID, instead of fake RAID controllers. Software RAID works
very well, as I recall from reading that thread. Possibly look into
changing to Software RAID. Depends on the HW RAID controller.

Yes, I finally ended up installing software RAID because
1) I have read that, even if I installed the proper driver, Linux only uses it to configure its own dm software RAID device according to the BIOS conf-- is this completely true? If yes, no real offloading anything to hardware anyway-- even under Windows; does anybody know about this for sure?
2) I am very scared by non-kernel-tree-blessed modules which have their own install procedures and/or updating schedule, I have been bitten by this in the past.

I finally did setup two 1-RAIDed identical partitions and installed the system on the rest of both disks... Now my system won't boot if one disk is broken, but I hope I can go rescue into the data. I was formerly hoping to rely on RAID to protect the full install and simplify my life, but I was discouraged away by 1) and 2).

I have yet to see a real RAID controller... At what price do they start off?

For two channels, there's little that is worth paying for, IMNSHO.
3Ware 8006 is only SATA-one, not SATA-II (two), which brings its own set of problems.
For four channels:
See www.areca.com.tw for models and use your local search engine to find a good offer.
It's not cheap, but you get top performance. I see that they now also offer a two channel SATA-II RAID controller - newegg lists it for 180 USD. Software RAID gets more attractive every day...
I can also recommend their 8 and 12 port controllers - but as discussed last time, the more disks you add, the less flexible hardware-RAID (and Linux) get and Solaris/ZFS make more sense then (16 disks upwards IMO).
If your storage needs are not constantly growing, Linux is OK.

cheers,
Rainer