Re: Three Identical systems - short cut to setting up the drives?

Karanbir Singh wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I am building three identical systems.  Well they will have different
host names, and with time the software setups will drift. But at install
time they are identical.
..snip...
I would hope this is faster than 2 more installs.

its not

do the install over the network from a http server, given the same network, it would be many times faster to do the 2nd and 3rd install using the ks.cfg generated from the 1st one ( as Terry Polzin already pointed out ).

It will be many times faster than doing DD images of entire drives. eg. in my case here, i can provision a new machine in 2 min and 43 seconds for a base+core minimal centos-5 install. installing over http from a machine on a GiB/sec link and installing to a 2 disk raid-1

Yes, dd is actually pretty slow in wall clock time. Where it wins is in human time since you just type a short command line and go away, and it duplicates any setup work you've done in addition too installing the packages.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx