Re: Ethernet poor performance

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I get pings around 60ms.

Pings within the same LAN? If so, that's slow even for 100BaseT. It should be under 10 ms.

When I switch the cards around, the addon card attached to my
network, I get pings that alternate with one being ~1488ms and the
next 488ms!  This is regular.

Have you removed the cabling from consideration? And, do you know you have good cabling, tested as following the wiring standards? Hand-made cables are particularly suspect, if made by someone who doesn't know what TIA/EIA 568 is, for example.

I have played around with the IRQ for the 2nd card.  The 1st card I
tried I was limited to 9,10, or 11.  The card I am using now allows
3, 4, or 7 (btw, I have disabled serial and parallel ports).

None of this should matter in the PCI world, unless you're using really old hardware, which didn't properly support IRQ sharing.

- What driver is it using?

How do I tell?

grep eth0 /etc/modprobe.conf

or scan through the output of the dmesg command, looking for stuff that appears near "eth0".

- Can you verify that the speed and duplex settings match on both ends of
  the connection?

The switch has its 100Mb LED on. One of the switch ports has my Speedstream router which is only 10Mb, so we can believe the 100Mb LED. This is a dumb switch (my public network, so I am not going to plug into one of my Procurves).

That covers speed, but doesn't say anything about the duplex setting. You should see this mentioned near the Ethernet driver load lines in dmesg, too.

ho, ho. MTU of 1500. Is this not doing MTU path discovery?

PMTU-D is done per-connection at the TCP layer, not statically down at L2.