Ethernet poor performance

I am attempting to build an IPv4/IPv6 router. I have put a 2nd ethernet card in a box.

I have one Ethernet card attached to my network and the other to a switch with nothing else there just so the link comes up for testing.

When I have the built-in Ethernet attached to my network, I get pings around 60ms. The other card, btw, does not have any IP addresses configed.

When I switch the cards around, the addon card attached to my network, I get pings that alternate with one being ~1488ms and the next 488ms! This is regular.

This is the 2nd card I have tried. The 1st one was getting ping times of 1900ms/900ms.

I have played around with the IRQ for the 2nd card. The 1st card I tried I was limited to 9,10, or 11. The card I am using now allows 3, 4, or 7 (btw, I have disabled serial and parallel ports).

Any Idea where I should look to fix this?