Re: Re: is CentOS an LSB certified product?

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Sorry to ask this, but what exactly is the LSB? What will CentOS (and probably) the community gain from it? I mean, apart from RedHat Enterprise, Suse Enterpise and the other commercial Linux's, most other linuxes are not certified AFAIK.

I know CentOS stands out above the rest in many areas, and is very close to RedHat, in many aspects. But won't a certification shove it into the commercial software "class"

LSB or Linux Standard Base, is a way of assuring VARs, developers and
contractors that the Linux systems that are certified under this all
have a standard file system structure and contain a defined set of
minimum system utilities.

This way when they write software they can be rest assured that if the
system is LSB certified that it will contain the 'bash' utility, that
utility will be in /usr/bin, man pages will be in /usr/share/man, etc.

This way they only have to write 1 set of installation packages and
not a separate package for each Linux distribution they wish to
develop for.

-Ross

Cool, thanx for the explanation :) I suppose it doesn't change the licensing at all.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com