Re: Upgrade mail server to new machine

At 01:17 PM 6/24/2008, you wrote:

I have an old RHEL3 box that I am upgrading to CentOS5. I picked up a
new Dell Poweredge R200 to use for that.

Is there an easy way to copy all the user accounts and existing mail
from the old server to the new one?

if local users copy /home/* /etc/passwd /etc/shadow after first making sure there are no dupes on new system

as for mail - what format is tha mail box in?

maybe as simple as copying /var/spool/something

personally i like to use rsync for this as it keeps perms well if you ask it to - your tool of choice is your call though

rsync is definitely a very good friend, especially with permissions and timestamps. Do 'man rsync'

I use rsync -avz -e "ssh -p portxxx" source destination. My ssh port is non-standard. Very secure!

Cheers,
Glenn