Re: recommendations for copying large filesystems

Mag Gam wrote:
I need to copy over 100TB of data from one server to another via network. What is the best option to do this? I am planning to use rsync but is there a better tool or better way of doing this?

For example, I plan on doing
rsync -azv /largefs /targetfs

/targetfs is a NFS mounted filesystem.

Any thoughts
You are going to pay a large performance penalty for the simplicity of using a local form rsync. Between the substantial overheads of rsync itself and NFS you are not going to come anywhere near your maximum possible speed and you will probably need a lot of memory if you have a lot of files (rsync uses a lot of memory to track all the files). When I'm serious about moving large amounts of data at the highest speed I use tar tunneled through ssh. The rough invokation to pull from a remote machine looks like this:

ssh -2 -c arcfour -T -x sourcemachine.com 'tar --directory=/data -Scpf - .' | tar --directory=/local-data-dir -Spxf -"

That should pull the contents of the sourcemachine's /data directory to an already existing local /local-data-dir. On reasonably fast machines (better than 3 Ghz CPUs) it tends to approach the limit of either your hard drives' speed or your network capacity.

If you don't like the ssh tunnel, you can strip it down to just the two tars (one to throw and one to catch) and copy it over NFS. It will still be faster than what you are proposing. Or you can use cpio.

Rsync is best at synchonizing two already nearly identical trees. Not so good as a bulk copier.

--
Benjamin Franz

--
Benjamin Franz