Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CentOS 5.2 is here!

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Sorry to be dumb, but what is the point of calling it Centos-5.2?

Think of it as a rebase with added kernel drivers, some newer features
and so on, while still basically being CentOS 5.

Or - if you come from the windows world - CentOS 5, service pack 2.

But does one actually get Windows XP SP3
simply by repeated "Windows Update"s?

Windows XP service pack 3 was released recently, Windows NT 4 had 6
service packs

There is probably a misunderstanding here.
Windows XP Service Pack 3 was a separate upgrade.
IIRC, it did not come as a standard update.
One was told SP3 was available, and how to get it.
But this is a minor point.

regardless ... WinXP is not WinVista or Win2000 or Win98

AND

CentOS-2 is not CentOS-3, CentOS-4, CentOS-5

As I understand it, by simply continuing to say "yum update"
at regular intervals, my server will change itself from 5.1 to 5.2 .
It seems a bit like my age, which will automatically increase by 1
on Thursday.

OK .. here is the point

CentOS-5 is the Release

CentOS-5.0, CentOS-5.1 and CentOS-5.2 are update sets of CentOS-5 ... and are still CentOS-5. The .0, .1, and .2 are update sets and are really just a "frozen point in time" of CentOS-5.

Yum upgrades will always get you all the updates that are released for CentOS-5 ... and that will automatically update you to the latest CentOS-5 version.

If you are running CentOS-4 and you run yum ... you will be updated to CentOS-4.6 now and to CentOS-4.7 when it is released. You will not be updated to CentOS-5.x from any version of CentOS-4.

Does this make sense?