Re: kernels and irc

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 09:01 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

I expect people who feel they are treated like crap to do one of two
things:

  1. Get involved to try and make things better (I guess you could
  argue you are doing this albeit in a really ineffective manner :)
  2. Move on to antoher project
i was told early on, that it took an invite to get involved.

If CentOS noticed a huge decline in users they might be concerned about
this.  They haven't; you're probably the only one I've heard bringing
up this issue and honestly it sounds like you were the cause of the
problem.
that may be your perception. perhaps you would want to look at the logs so you would know.

This is not an issue for CentOS currently.
too bad.

>     I would agree though, it sounds like RH is a better choice for your
>     needs, and more specifically, a better fit for your method of
>     interaction.
>
>     You're not going to find many volunteers who react well to being cursed
>     at or otherwise abused verbally.
and users do not react well to being told rudely 'it will be ready when its ready', that is just rude.

> and you're not going to find too many people in business that want to ask a
> question and are blatently put off.

You need to grasp that CentOS is *not* run like a business.  It is a
project worked on by others, for free, in ther spare time, most of them
with technical interests.  You need to approach it in this manner.

You're going to get blown off if you come around acting like a paying
customer deserving of support when you haven't contributed anything
yourself persoanlly to the product.
i do not perceive it as a paying customer, and i was not the one that brought that up. now that it has been brought up, what is the mission of CentOS ?

This is open source etiquette.  It differs from business etiquette
where you are more than welcoem to berate and yell and holler about
things because you're paying someone a lot of money.
the etiquette is rudeness to promote open source? is this what you are saying?

Ray