Re: How to handle updates after rebuilding PHP?

Johnny Hughes a écrit :

Notice the .el5 in our (and RedHat's) build. The one with a .el5 is "greater than" the one without .el5, so RPM wants to replace the lower version (yours, without the .el5) with the higher version (ours, with .el5).

What you need to do (if there is a %{?dist} in the "Release" string) is to create a .rpmmacros file in the "home" directory of the user that you use to build RPMS with, and in that file, use a "dist" tag that starts with something that is "greater than" .el5 ... it could be .kv, .kovac, or .el5.kv ... etc.

The line would look like:

%dist .el5.kv

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I tried out what you suggested, and it works as expected!

If you are building as root, you also want to probably change that as bad things can happen as root if an RPM is not properly written (bad things as in it can install things to the system when it builds). Here is an example of how to build as a non root user:

http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

Usually - on my Arch system - I build things as normal user. But if it's only for rebuilding CentOS SRPMS from [base], I don't bother to setup a build environment for a normal user.

But I know what you mean: I've been using Slackware for a few years, where my habit was to write and use SlackBuild scripts as root... I remember very well how it felt doing an rm -rf $TMP/ with an unset TMP variable :oD

Niki