Re: mysql data

Barry L. Kline wrote:
Ray Leventhal wrote:

| Where does mysql actually store databases and tables in the filesystem?

If you're asking because you're concerned about backup/restore then
you'll want to forget about the location of the data files and instead
use the mysqldump command to make your backups.

If you're interested from the capacity planning standpoint then the
answer is that CentOS configures MySQL to live in the /var/lib/mysql
directory.

Barry
Thanks to all who replied. My reason for wanting to know the location of the actual databases and tables is that I had a crash and rebuilt a new system. I hadn't done mysqldump(s) of the databases recently enough to the crash to be useful, so I am going to temporarily mount the drive that contained /var from the old system (thankfully, that partition is sound) and just pull that data out.

/var/lib/mysql is the answer I needed. I've since implemented a backup strategy which I found online [1]. The only difference between what I am running and the posted script is the location of the mysqldump file. In the example it's in /usr/local/bin, in Cent it's in /usr/bin

Kind regards,
-Ray
[1] http://www.tech-recipes.com/mysql_tips221.html