Re: A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Morten Nilsen wrote:
Karanbir Singh wrote:
Morten Nilsen wrote:
- Why does the screen flicker on and off several times during boot and when logging in?

mine does not, so cant say what is going on with your setup, perhaps posting some more info about your setup might help make it easier to diagnose.

Isn't much to say, really..
* ATI Radeon PCI
* Intel 975 Chipset

The motherboard is an Asus "Wallstreet Quartet"..

- When I chose a pure console environment, without any X11 stuff, why did a bunch of gnome packages get installed?

CentOS comes with a package manager, yum. There is a man page for that, and lots of docs online. You can use that to remove anything you dont need.

Yes, I know.. I didn't ask how to remove anything, just why it got installed to begin with.. The gnome stuff is long gone on this box.

Some stuff needs some of the Gnome libraries to function properly. I know Xen also installs 1 or 2 Gnome libs along the way. It might be worthwhile to check with rpm which Gnome stuff got installed, and which packages requires them :)

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com