Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

on 3-26-2008 12:11 PM Ray Leventhal spake the following:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Ray Leventhal wrote:

Normally you have to add the users yourself with their passwords since the encryption is different than the linux passwd file uses and it can only be done when you still have the plaintext.
smbpasswd -a login_name
But didn't you say you used webmin with this enabled?
yes, I did and have verified that users are already there and 'the same' in webmin terms.

If the users are already in a windows domain you can just use security = server and password server = your_domain_controller.
I am not using a PDC in the network, only clients on WinXP and the Cent OS machine.

By the way, if you are setting up a new box from scratch just to serve windows users you might like SME server (http://www.contribs.org). It is based on Centos but all administration is through a simple web interface.

As Cent is already built, I'm inclined to keep it.

Any idea why I can't seem to browse in anything other than 'share' mode? The user mode keeps popping up an authentication box for which there seems not to be a correct answer...meaning I re-auth, but I keep getting the box, with <MACHINE>/ prepended to my username.

Thanks,
-Ray
DO the user credentials on the windows boxes match the credentials on the samba box?
Did you turn off simple filesharing on the XP machines?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and