Re: simple DNS question - reverse nslookup fails.

vincenzo romero wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to configure a subdomain DNS server on a Cent OS 5.1 - for
my lab.  Brief configuration:

Lab machine ---> 192.168.17.2 (should respond to DNS queries from
hosts in 192.168.16.0/20 network)

1.  I would also like to forward any queries outside the above network
to our corporate domain (no firewalls between our 192.168.16.x network
and the corporate network.  The domain server is:  dns.company.com
with an IP of 10.100.1.2 (255.255.255.0).

2.  What I have configured is:

192.168.17.2 --> myhost.lab.company.com
10.100.1.2 -->  dns.company.com

3.  Installed the dns bind 9 in myhost and set basic configuration via
the system-config-bind GUI.  My configuration file specific to my
setup there is:

 cat lab.maxiscale.com.db
$TTL 1H
@       SOA     myhost.lab.company.com.
root.myhost.lab.company.com. (       2
                                                3H
                                                1H
                                                1W
                                                1H )
        NS      myhost.lab.company.com.
qaserver2 A       192.168.17.3
qaserver1 A       192.168.17.1
myhost A       192.168.17.2

=================

The rest of the DNS/Bind records were based upon the auto-generated
files from the Bind GUI Config tool.

3.  I also changed myhost's resolv.conf to reflect the following:

search lab.mycompany.com
192.168.17.2
search mycompany.com
10.100.1.2
what's this?  should be:

search lab.mycompany.com mycompany.com
server 192.168.17.2
server 10.100.1.2
======

PROBLEM:

1.  When I am in myhost.com, I can perform:
a.  nslookup hostname (to any host within 192.168.x and 10.100.x networks)
b.  nslookup ip to anyhost wtihin both networks.

2.  When I am in one of the hosts within 192.168.x aside from
myhost.com (for example, qaserver1 or qaserver2):

a: SUCCESS to nslookup hostname to any host within BOTH networks.
b.  FAILS to nslookup ip (reverse nslookup) to anyhost within the
10.100.x network.

you did not create the reverse zone. the zone file should contains something like

$TTL 1H
@       SOA     myhost.lab.company.com.
root.myhost.lab.company.com. (       2
                                               3H
                                               1H
                                               1W
                                               1H )
       NS      myhost.lab.company.com.

3              IN      PTR     qaserver2.lab.company.com.
1              IN      PTR     qaserver2.lab.company.com.
2              IN      PTR     myhostA.lab.company.com.

WARNING. don't forget the trailing dot (...lab.company.com. with a dot at the end).

you must tell you bind that it is authoritative for this zone. so in named.conf, add

zone "17.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
       type master;
       file "192.168.17.db";
};

where 192.168.17.db is the name of the zone file.

A good reference for DNS is
   http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/