Re: evince on centos5.1

William L. Maltby a écrit :

Is there an alternative?
 I use Adobe's acroread. Works very well. But don't get the 8.* series -
it's broken in printer interface and is a little bloated do to a not yet
really useful voice reader capability.

I'm using CentOS 5.1 for all our desktops in public libraries around here. People around here handle various PDF's all the time. Most of the components are lightweight, since we have some older hardware: minimal cholesterol-free base system, XFCE desktop, ... and applications with a possibly small footprint.

Acroread sure handles PDF well, and the browser plugin comes in handy too. On the downside, it's closed source, weighs several dozen MB's and has the bad habit of "phoning home". So I just decided to do without, and rely on Evince and maybe xpdf (following a hint of R. Herring on this list). It's a bit like deciding to feed sanely, without cholesterol or genetically modified food. In the long run, you're better off.

cheers,

Niki